These days, high school students can take advantage of amazing opportunities to travel across the country and around the world to participate in life changing experiences. Colleges and universities offer unique and engaging summer learning sessions; camps and outfitters offer outdoor adventure programs in beautiful wilderness locations; and dozens of organization offer programs abroad where students immerse themselves in new cultures, languages and experiences.
Farther Foundation maintains a searchable online directory of more than 100 companies, schools and organizations that offer trips and programs especially designed for high school students. Whether you want to study science and engineering at a leading university, trek the Inca Trail to Machu Pichu in Peru or volunteer with local children in communities in Ghana or Thailand, we list programs that are right for you. In fact, past Farther Foundation scholarship recipients have participated in each of these programs and many more.
Farther Foundation ensures that lack of money does not prevent eager and deserving students from having these valuable, life changing experiences that otherwise would not be possible. One of our 2011 scholars, Jasmine, will be traveling to Costa Rica this summer as part of a program designed and operated by Global Leadership Adventures.
Global Leadership Adventures (GLA) leads service learning trips around the world that inspire high school students while preparing them for the future. Here is what GLA stands for:
- Our mission is to inspire the next generation to realize their potential to transform the world and their role in it.
- Our Integrity is unspoken. It is the unfailing framework from which we build every program, human relationship, and bridge into a community.
- Respect is inherent in all of our interactions among students, staff, and all of the members whose communities we serve. Respect means accepting and celebrating differences. Respect means considering all points of view, always.
- Cooperation is key to our accomplishments. We are a traveling community, helping to serve other communities. We work together, learn from one another, and build valuable friendships in the process.
- Compassion is what drivers our service, and that compassion extends to students, parents, and host communities. Our care for people extends to everything we do.
- We are invested in the Personal Growth and development of all our students and staff. We foster an environment for students to safely explore, experience, and self-discover.
- Optimism is at our core. We believe that anything is possible and that every person is capable of driving and adopting positive change in the world.
- Innovation is what makes us stand out in international education. Open to new ideas and always striving to work better and smarter to serve our communities, students, and parents.
We wish Jasmine all the best as she heads off to Costa Rica with GLA to explore the culture and serve the people. We know that she will have eye-opening and life changing experiences, and bring back the best in herself.
Check out our enrichment travel directory online. Tax deductible donations from people like you help Farther Foundation make more opportunities available for deserving students like Jasmine. Please help with a donation today.
Farther Foundation is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization providing scholarships to low-income students to inspire them to reach their highest aspirations through educational travel experiences.